I speak 7 languages — that’s right, 7. I understand that you want to learn languages, to speak, write, and understand a second language…English-Spanish-German-French-Italian-American Sign-Arabic-Chinese Mandarin-Hindi-Japanese-Korean-Portuguese-Russian
- You should NOT learn as a small child learns – it would take way too much time.
- There is NO program for free that will give you the depth of training needed to both understand and speak.
- You can NOT learn a language in 3 minutes, 3 hours or 3 days. Be excited but patient with your progress.
- Your learning must be FUN or you will grow tired and quit.
- Visual – some learn better by seeing
- Audio – some learn better by hearing
- Duplication – some learn better by reading/writing
- Touch – some learn better by acting
Why learn A second Language? – (hint: it makes you “smarter”)
Read these Secret reasons to learn a second language:
- Reduce chance of dementia: Research indicates that knowing and using two languages reduces your chances of developing dementia, including Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Open up access to foreign art, music, literature and films: Learning a second language opens up access to another culture’s history, art, music, literature, films and customs
- Current events: With the study of a second language, current events take on a newly expanded and enriched meaning.
- Enhance mental abilities: Bilingualism enhances mental abilities in both children and older adults.
- Improves own native language: Studying a foreign languages improves your knowledge of your own language
- Improves memory: Studying a foreign language can improve your memory
- Enhances travel: Enhance your travel experience. Gain insights into the local people and their diverse culture. Taxi, hotel, ordering food, meeting locals will be much more enjoyable.
- Slows decline in mental skills: Studying a second language slows age-related decline in mental acuity.
- Makes you smarter: Studying another language makes you smarter! Your critical thinking skills will be improved as you learn to view things through a different lens.
- Improves employment: Improve your employment potential. There are a multitude of careers that need a second language ability.
- Stimulates creativity: Learning a second language stimulates creativity.
- Expands business: Expand your business experience as an owner of a business. Separate yourself from the crowd
- Express yourself in a different way: You might notice that a new language allows aspects of your personality to express themselves in a new, original way
- Understand diversity: With a second language, you will understand diversity in a way not imagined with only a single language skill
- Little confusion: Contrary to popular opinion, not much confusion happens between languages
- Learn new things daily: Almost without thinking we learn new things every day, so as long as you have a clear purpose in mind, learning a second language will be surprisingly easy and productive
- Make friends online: With both limited and extensive use of a second language, you will develop both enriching and endearing online friendships
Which language should I learn?
Secret reasons to learn English–
- English is the most commonly spoken language in the world (2 billion)
- 1 out of 4 people worldwide speak/understand English
- English is the worldwide language of the media (books, tv, movies, songs, politics)
- English is the language of the internet
- English is the language of international commerce. When the Chinese do business in Africa, it’s in English
- Most of the worlds top universities are English speaking
- English is the perfect language for travel
Secret reasons to learn Spanish–
- Spanish is spoken by 350 million people worldwide
- Spanish is the 4th most spoken language in the world (only Mandarin, English and Hindi have more speakers)
- In the US, 53% of students learning a 2nd language are studying Spanish
- Spanish is easy to learn and allows you to start speaking quickly
- Spanish is the mother tongue in 21 countries and is an official language on four continents
- Spanish is almost phonetically perfect; you can look at almost an word and be able to pronounce it
Secret reasons to learn German–
- German has the largest number of native speakers in the European Union
- German and English are similar, so if you know some English, then German is easier
- Germany is the world’s second largest exporter
- The German economy is the fourth largest in the world
- Germans are the world leaders in engineering
- German speakers claim 22 Nobel Prizes in Physics, 30 in Chemistry, 25 in Medicine; 11 Nobel Prizes in Literature and 7 Peace Prizes.
- German is the language of some of the greatest world philosophers, musicians and poets
Secret reasons to learn French–
- French is the language of love. It is a beautiful, melodious and rich language
- French is the international language of fashion, cooking, theatre, dance and the arts
- French is the fourth most widely learned foreign language (after English, Spanish and German)
- French is the sixth most widely spoken language in the world
- France is the world’s top tourist destination
- French is an easy language to learn. It does not take long to arrive at a level where you can communicate in French
Secret reasons to learn Italian–
- Italian is acknowledged as one of the most beautiful spoken languages on the earth
- Most of the world’s cultural heritage sites are in Italy
- Italian has the highest number of words for describing foods
- Italy is one of the top economies in the world
- Italian is the closest to Latin which is the common root of all romance languages
- Italian gives you access to a literature which is rich in understanding opera and music
Secret reasons to learn Japanese–
- Japan has the 2nd largest economy in the world
- Japanese speakers are the internet’s third largest group
- Japan’s drive for innovation has made them a world leader in patent filings at 420,000 applications annually
- Japan is one of the safest countries in the world and a great choice for a study-abroad adventure
- Japanese will expand your thinking about language in general: conjugate verbs according to politeness, use adjectives in the past tense, and wait for the verb until the end of a sentence
- Study the language that brought us karate, karaoke, and Hello Kitty
Secret reasons to learn American Sign Language (ASL)-
- ASL is growing in usage everyday
- It is the 4th most popular language spoken in the US
- Meaning is conveyed principally through body language (7% words uttered, 38% voice, 55% body language)
- Many children learn to sign before they learn to speak which gives them a sense of empowerment
- Signing is increasing in usage in modern television, school systems, employers preferences
- Signing is a fascinating, beautiful, unique and graceful way of expression
- Much of our communication with animals/pets is through sign languages
- You can “talk” with your mouth full, through a window, at a distance, in loud venues, or “privately” in public
Secret reasons to learn Arabic–
- It is the fifth most commonly spoken language in the world
- Arabic is the gateway to understanding and appreciating the Islamic culture
- Arabic is spoken in over 20 countries in the world with roughly 300 million native speakers
- Both the US government and many large multi-national companies have a presence in the middle east and north Africa but fewer than 1% of US citizens speak Arabic
- Gain insights into the second largest religion in the world (islam)
- Arabic is an official language of the United Nations, the Arab League, the Organization of Islamic Conference, and the African Union
- Arabic-speaking nations are a fast growing market for trade
- The Arab-speaking world has a rich cultural heritage and has made significant contributions to world civilization
Secret reasons to learn Mandarin Chinese–
- China is the most populous nation in the world, with 1.28 billion people
- China is the second largest economy in the world
- China’s culture is over 5000 years old making it one of the world’s oldest and richest continuous cultures
- One fifth of the world speaks Chinese. Mandarin Chinese is the mother tongue of over 873 million people, making it the most widely spoken first language in the world
- Mandarin Chinese is spoken in the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan; it is also spoken in Chinese communities of Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines, and Mongolia
- China is one of largest trading partners of the United States
- Many US companies do business in China and have long-term investments there
- Chinese has a relatively uncomplicated grammar structure (no verb conjugations, no noun declensions)… subject-verb-object (like English)
Secret reasons to learn Hindi
- Hindi is the second most spoken language in the world and is the official language of India
- Roughly 300 million speak Hindi as native speakers and another 200 million speak Hindi as a second language.
- India is projected to overtake China as the worlds most populous nation (by 2030)
- Many counties of the world are outsourcing their jobs to India
- India is becoming one of the world’s biggest exporters of commerce, business, digital media, and other information based technologies
- India is One of the Most Exotic Tourist Locations – sites like the white-domed Taj Mahal, Delhi’s landmarks, Goa’s sandy beaches, Karnataka’s monumental architecture, Mumbai’s cosmopolitan nightlife and Rajasthan‘s magnificent palaces
Secret reasons to learn Korean–
- There are over 80 million Korean speakers in the world.
- With companies like Samsung, LG, and Hyundai, Korea has the 13th largest economy in the world and has increasingly visible roles in the world economy, technological innovation, and global popular culture.
- Gain a deeper understanding of Korean cinema, K-pop artists, TV dramas
- The alphabet can be learned in an hour or two and for the most part, Korean is usually pronounced exactly the way it is written
- Compared to other languages, Korean has one of the easiest grammars of modern languages
- Visit Korea, speak to Korean relatives, expand a Korean friendship
Secret reasons to learn Portuguese–
- Portuguese is possibly the most mellifluous, honey-smooth language on Earth. It simply sounds like music and is a joy to listen to
- Portuguese is the sixth most spoken language worldwide, with 215 million native speakers — mostly in Portugal and Brazil, but also in several African countries
- There are also almost a million native Portuguese speakers in the USA and about 10 million speakers in Europe
- Brazilian economy has skyrocketed to become the seventh largest economy in the world and is expected to become one of the five largest economies in the next twenty years
- Brazil has expansive beaches, rainforests, exotic plants and wildlife, a vibrant culture of music, dance and football and a beautiful people. It has the Amazon rainforests, modernist capital Brasília and Rio de Janeiro’s Christ the Redeemer, the Sugar Loaf mountain, Copacabana and Ipanema
- Portuguese is relatively easy to learn when compared to mid-eastern and Asian languages
Secret reasons to learn Russian-
- Russian is the most widely spoken among Slavic languages. It is the fifth most spoken language on the earth (about 300 million total speakers) including 154 million native speakers
- Russian is the second most used language on the Internet (after English)
- Russia has very lucrative investment opportunities which cause numerous companies to consider establishing a company in Russia.
- Travel – spectacular beaches, diverse wildlife, unexplored places, the Russian Far East where the sun rises while people in the Western parts of the country are still fast asleep.
- Russia continues to grow as a major political and economic world power, including nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, engineering, aerospace, and information technology
- Russia has a rich heritage of literature, film, art, performance, philosophy, and music